Tuesday, June 3, 2014

If you were me

-Human rights, the sigh of people who lost it-

If you were me
-Human rights, the sigh of people who lost it-


Today, I will introduce a movie, If you were me . This shows the sigh of people who lost human rights, the basic right that everyone has as humans. This movie is an omnibus film. Six movie directors expressed their thoughts on human rights in an each short film. These six directors used to be not well known at that time. But now, most of them became famous. They are director Chan-wook Park who is famous for the movies named 「Old Boy「Snowpiercer, director Soon-rye Lim who directed 「Waikiki Brothers and 「Forever the Movement, director Jin-pyo Park who is well known for the movies called  You're My Sunshine and  「Voice of a Murder, Jae-eun Jeong, Gyun-dong Yeo, and Gwang-su Park. This film had to be made using the omnibus format. Because it was dealing with each person's life. That means, in other words, it shows our societies have lots of unfairness in terms of human rights. 

Each segment shows different sides of South Korea. The various forms of storytelling are enough to arouse the interest. All six segments of this omnibus film are devoted to the human rights: ‘The “weight” of Her’ the story regarding a high school girl who wants to get plastic surgery for getting a job, ‘The Man with an Affair’ the story regarding the rights of a criminal whose personal information is opened to the public, ‘Crossing’ regarding a man who can’t do whatever he wants because of cerebral palsy, ‘Tongue Tie’ regarding a preschool aged child who gets a tongue surgery for the high English skill, ‘Face Value’ regarding a parking information girl who is dragged into a fight because of her beauty, and lastly ‘Never Ending Peace and Love’ regarding a foreigner who looks like Korean had been admitted to a psychiatric hospital for 6 years and 4 months for eating out ramen without money.
 
This film was produced in 2003, and I watched it in 2010. It has been 11 years now since the film was made and 4 years since I watched it. But now, that matter shows no sign of being resolved. The human rights still are one of the most controversial issues of our society. Besides, those who like the main characters of the film now exist here and there in our society. Sometimes the deprivation of human rights happens to us, though, we easily forget and overlook this kind of matters.
 
If you were me tells different human rights in different views. However, the point of this movie can be shortened in a word as subtitle.
 
'If you were me' (Although you can never be me now, what if you were me?)
They throw a question like that.
Unavoidably, if you were me, you may mind. But if you were me, you may not understand.
 
If you were me.
 
If I were you.
Although it is not easy to imagine, if I were you, if I were you.
 
If I can be, if were me before the time I lost my rights-.

No comments:

Post a Comment