Saturday, November 8, 2014

Emma Watson - "he for she"




Emma Watson, a 24-year-old British actress, was appointed the new UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador after some actresses who are well-known for serving as UN Goodwill Ambassador such as Nicole Kidman(UN Women Goodwill Ambassador), Angelina Jolie(UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador), and Charlize Theron(UN Messenger of Peace).

 
Emma gave her thoughts saying, “You might be thinking who is this Harry Potter girl? And what is she doing up on stage at the UN. It’s a good question and trust me I have been asking myself the same thing. I don’t know if I am qualified to be here. All I know is that I care about this problem. And I want to make it better. And having seen what I’ve seen—and given the chance—I feel it is my duty to say something.”

UN Women is an organization for gender equality and women’s empowerment.

 


The video clip below is about Emma Watson’s powerful speech at the UN Women’s Solidarity Movement, He For She.

 


 


She defined feminism by saying that “For the record, feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes.” Also, she said, “I am inviting you to step forward, to be seen to speak up, to be the "he" for "she". And to ask yourself if not me, who? If not now, when?”

Emma Watson emphasized that not only women’s rights but also men are the sacrifice of the socially conventional sexual division and asserted feminism is an issue for men too. She seemed to turn from a young heroin in Harry Potter into a complete woman.

 

I was so impressed by the sentence, “If not me, who? If not now, when?”

As a global village member today, I think it is time to have ownership of everything that happens in the world where we live.

4 comments:

  1. We are same and one. And we should have ownershinp in the world we live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma Waton`s saying is right. feminism is not just issue for women!! We have to think sexual equlity!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on Youtube before! She is Amazing! I do like her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I respect her good mind. Also I like that pretty actress!

    ReplyDelete